Quickly and Easily Resolve Complaints

March 5, 2009

Tips to help you deal with problems quickly and effectively:

  • Make written notes of your conversations with your dealer or adviser, particularly when you give instructions to buy or sell a security.
  • Keep copies of all the forms, confirmation slips, account statements and correspondence concerning your investments.
  • If there is a problem, tell your dealer or adviser right away. Follow up in writing if possible. Do not wait to see if the error works out in your favor.
  • If the problem is not resolved promptly, contact the firm’s manager or compliance officer, preferably in writing.
  • If the problem still cannot be resolved, or if you think there has been misconduct, contact the securities regulator. If your dealer is a member of IIROC, MFDA or stock exchange, contact that agency first. If your dealer or adviser is not a member of a self-regulatory organization, direct your complaint to your provincial or territorial securities regulator.
  • Canadians may also consult the Financial Services OmbudsNetwork, which includes the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments for help in resolving customer complaints in the banking, trust company, securities and mutual fund industries.
  • You may also want to seek legal advice about the remedies available to you.